Friday 18 July 2008

This is my hero

This is my hero. Look at her for she is a hell of a ten-year old girl.



I read her story in CNN and I was amazed. Initially, I was amazed because there are people that sell off their ten year old children as brides. Then I thought they must be incredibly poor to do that. Then I was amazed because for a man was beating and raping a ten-year old girl. But then I thought that this is not so amazing; it happens everywhere. Then I was amazed because the girl had to 'compensate' her husband (according to the Sharia law) and give him 200 dollars (I presume for letting her divorce him). But then I thought that by analogy, similar things happen here.

And then I read the story again and I realized that the only amazing thing is this girl. This girl who was sold as a bride in the age of 10, with the promise of the groom to her parents that he would not touch her until she became 20. Essentially she was sold off not as a bride, but to loosen the economic burden of her parents. But then her husband was beating her and raping her. Initially she went to her mother, who told her to stay there because that's her home now. But the girl did not do that. During a visit to her parents she escaped and went to a courthouse and demanded to speak to a judge. She demanded for a divorce and got it. She now has returned to her family home, and is happy to play with her siblings again, only she cannot go out to play a lot because the 'attention bothers her'.

Where did this 10 year old girl find the courage to do what she did?
That's why she is my hero, because it takes so much courage to do what you believe is right. And so many people never ever have the guts to do that.

No comments: