Thursday 17 July 2008

On repeat

I saw the edge of heaven again a couple of days ago, and although I loved it again, I have to admit that it wasn't as much as when I watched on the first time, in the sense that I did see a couple of flaws. This reminds me of my past habit of reading and re-reading books. I used to do it compulsively, especially with one book (hmmm the secret history) which I must have read over ten times. The books I love take second reading well and they become better, grander books. The first time you read something, it's all about the plot: you read thirstily, fast and you lose so many details. The entire beginnings of books are usually read in a haste, me I never remember beginnings. I think they have to be good enough to keep your attention but not give any important information about the plot because I will never remember that. Very often I don't even know what they're talking about, and only after a hundred pages or so do I see the point and go back and read things again. Anyway, regarding second readings, it's rare that a book can survive them and be enjoyed as much the second time round. The same with movies, especially the ones whose hype relies so much on a surprise endings or a twist of some sort (fight club, seven, sixth sense etc) very rarely make good second sightings. Instead other surprising movies, like the silence of the lambs, that do have a twist but they don't rely too much on it, can be seen again and again and never lose their charm. Perhaps this is what makes a movie or a book a classic, it's when they can be seen more than once and be enjoyed as much (but perhaps differently) than the first time.

The point is that first impressions do not seem to matter.
A good generalization one can stick to for more than one things, don't you agree?

No comments: