Tuesday 3 March 2009

Friends



I love friends, i literally love this series. They show it every day on TV and I watch it every day, two episodes a day. And when it finishes, all the brilliant ten years of it, they show it from the beginning and I watch it all over again.

I am never bored with it. I know all the jokes, I remember the lines, I even remember the tone of the actors' voices when they say their lines (Rachel: 'you were asleeeeep?' - true aficionados will remember the one I mean), but I still watch it happily. As a matter of fact, I watch it even more happily when I recognize which episode it's going to be, because this way I know the jokes in advance and I laugh even before the joke comes.

Sometimes I bring lines from friends into every day conversations (my colleague said the other day that she doesn't like ice cream, and I said, yeah ross doesn't like ice cream either). I think I treat the characters in this series, as if they are my friends. I laugh with them, not at them. I do not think that they are brilliant actors, but I think they are great in this series. I think this is one of these magical moments where film actually captures extreme chemistry on screen.

But what I find even more impressive (or depressing, depending on how you see it) is that I am actually touched by their stories. Tonight I saw (I think for the third time now) the last episode. I cried like a little girl with the ross/rachel story all over again. I find everything about them touching and real, although they are the characters of an American sitcom, something that could be the epitome of fakeness.

I guess one can never know where truth might come from, and as we know it can be found in the weirdest of places - like American sitcoms.

No comments: