Wednesday 28 January 2009

The success



In the program of Dimitris Papaioannou's new production, Medea 2, it says that Medea is the only successful avenger. Anybody who knows me, also knows how obsessed I am with the notion of revenge. I love Medea and I've never thought of her story that way. But it's true, Medea does the unthinkable and then leaves with her head high on the Sun's chariot, like a winner.

Papaioannou's Medea is not a winner, she leaves crushed with a look on her face that is unthinkably sad. But she is a winner, she is a winner as a piece of art. I cannot explain Papaioannou's vision to whoever has not seen it, and it is not my intention to explain anything. I just wanted to write a small post just to say that Medea 2 is a masterpiece, probably the best thing I have ever seen in my life. The man is a genius.

1 comment:

Youkali said...

I would very much like to see this Medea 2.
I love the notion that Medea is also a winner. I think she is, but not only because she's an avenger. She just does something about her problems.
I know I'm sounding stupid, but that's the only way I can explain it.