Thursday 15 January 2009

Brett forever (the past)



I haven't written for over a month and I had so many ideas: I wanted to write about Medea (Dimitris Papaioannou masterpiece) Australia (Baz Luhrman's epic melodrama), my time in Greece, Friends and awesome one-liners between Joey and Chandler and so much more but I didn't. Why? Because I decided to write about Brett Anderson, the love of my life, the best male singer in the universe, the inspiration of my teenage years and his new song: Back to you. Funnily enough, this is not even his song, the obscure Norwegian (!) band Pleasure wrote it. But Brett's voice, oh what a voice, makes me feel 16 again, like when I was first infatuated with Suede.

I got into Suede by a lousy translation of 'She's not dead' in Greek "Elle", can you believe that? I read the lyrics and felt something and went off and bought their first CD, Suede. The one with the two people kissing and with Animal Nitrate in it. I fell it love with Brett's songs, his lyrics, his voice and his photo in the booklet. I used to look at it for hours and dream how it would be if I met him. 5 million years later, and I've never even seen Suede or him live, what a bloody shame. But perhaps I'm saving it you know, I'm saving it for a special time in my life when I'll be desperately needing some inspiration, that's when I'll see him. He even came to Athens and I wasn't there.

But it doesn't matter, this means I will always have something to look forward to in life. Other people are looking forward to their weddings, a special trip, buying a house, I'm looking forward to seeing Brett live. He doesn't look as dazzling as when I first saw his picture when I was 16, when he was wearing lace and was oozing androgynous sensuality, now he looks broken, an ex drug-addict with a life story. But I like him more now. Or perhaps I would like him whatever he looked like.

So, Brett, "back to you" indeed.

No comments: