Thursday 5 February 2009

The anniversary

People have all sorts of anniversaries. Anniversaries with their partners, their first kisses, their first times going public with their relationships, their marriages.

There are also anniversaries with break ups, that one remembers and feels relieved and anniversaries with break ups that people feel nostalgic about.

There are also birthdays, or dates that I call anniversaries with the self (like the one Youkali has today, happy birthday baby!!). Birthdays are viewed nicely as anniversaries with ourselves, I think, because this way we acknowledge that life is a relationship, a relationship with yourself and it is only up to you to make it work (this sounds cheesy, but you know what I mean).

My favourite anniversary is with me and my PhD: 8 December 2006 people, what a lovely date. I still remember the feeling of release that made me feel so free. The transision after that was not always smooth, but whatever.

Today however is my anniversary with Belfast. I arrived here two years ago. In the beginning it was hard and I felt lonely, miserable and sad. Now though, I feel ok. It's perhaps not my favourite place in the world, but it is, and will always be in my heart, the place where I gained my independence. And that is a very nice thing, indeed.

Haapy anniversary to us then, Belfast dear.

No comments: