Saturday 26 January 2008

The steam



This will be a simplistic entry. The message will be simple: dancing is great. But as always the issue in life is not the message per se, but how you get to it. So I can still write this entry, I think.

I went to this salsa club yesterday and I was so shocked. I live in this city, where foreigners are a rarity and yesterday night I think I was in the place that had all of them together. If an extreme right-wing fundementalist (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7210036.stm) wanted to get rid of all the foreigners in Belfast, he'd better have put a bomb there last night. Most effective.

So, I go to this club for the first time last night and I really don't know what to expect. In the beginning there's a standard salsa class from out teacher, clumsy couples on the dancefloor trying to get the steps right, looking at our teacher with such a frightened look. And then the class stops and the dancing starts. I've never seen anything like it. Salsa is so cool, you know, because the steps are few and simple and the possibilities with them are endless. The people yesterday were amazing, innovative, funny, flashy, sweaty but NOT sleezy. Nobody was dancing with only one partner, everybody changed and adapted to their new partners. Ugly men were being transformed to kings of the dancefloor. Skinny trendy women were being trashed by chubby salsa queens. And as I was sitting there, sometimes dancing with brave partners, sometimes just staring with my mouth open, it then it hit me, this IS what people are supposed to be doing in life. Just dance and give no damn. Fuck psychotherapy, salsa is the key to a happy existence.

And imagine, I don't even listen to this music normally.

2 comments:

Hello Kitty said...

Tell me about it! I'm glad you finally caught the magic of salsa: it's a beautiful feeling when it all just flows and I miss it so, so, so much (here in Minden the salsa scene is dead).
Dance truly is life-in-its-most-primal state: one's true self comes out, there's no denying, suppressing or hiding anything anymore (and it's amazing exercise, too!).
Viva la salsa - arrriba! Can't wait to go out salsaing with you! xx

Lady V said...

I was thinking about you when I went there, because it did indeed remind me of what you always told me.

One day we will salsa like mad and not like the embarrassing pic from your party :)