Wednesday 23 January 2008

Letting Go


I see and hear it everywhere recently...

in the cover of women magazines, in people’s communication, in my personal therapy, in TV. Why can’t people let go of this and that, why is it so difficult to accept somebody’s feelings and decisions, what is the matter if you let something/somebody go…?
Even the famous and utterly charming Dr Greg House refused to switch off the machines and let a patient die, unless he figured out the reason she died from.
I am trying to get used to the idea that many things in my life have been and will be determined by external factors. That leaves me with the dilemma, either to try and figure out what, when, how, who is responsible for these, getting myself angry, feeling weak and powerless or... to accept and let go.. I spend hours, days, and weeks, (must be years by now) to understand what this life is all about and what I can do to make it livable. It is only recently that I have come to terms with this “letting go” act and feeling. I love calling it an act, as it is something you are doing for yourself and I admit that it is a relief! By this I mean that we all ought to be(come) adaptive. I have cried over men, friendships, ideas that have passed, have hurt me and that have made me who I am. The act of “letting go” is something like a survival instinct that widens the picture, kicks you gently and diverts the attention to the future.

I read somewhere that humans that are stuck in time, stuck in the past, are condemned to be left alone. And I definitely don’t want to be left alone. I want to feel that I roll with life, with time, with those who care for me..

No comments: