Monday 21 January 2008

Spaghetti western, this is not



January is the month for movies and since Youkali watched and posted on 'I'm not there' I thought that I should watch and post about a different movie, for the benefit of our readers of course.

So, I saw the assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford. And I liked it a lot, not because Brad Pitt is so damn handsome. Or Casey Affleck is so talented. I liked it because it was a cross between the ultimate story of betrayal of master by beloved pupil (cf. Jesus-Judas = 0-1) and the chronicle of a death foretold. It was a movie seemingly without surprises (the guy dies and the other guy kills him-it says so in the title) that held the best surprise for the end: the fall, this endless fall after the committed sin.

And this is why I like westerns more and more, from the three burials of melquiades estrada to the assassination of jesse james, the western appears as the best setting for modern day tragedies: simplistic setting, powerful stories and superficailly simple protagonists. If you love tragedy and you don't live in Athens, 5th century B.C. or London, 16th A.D., the great American West is the place to be. After Korea, of course.

No comments: