Sunday 14 November 2010

Go left!

Pet shop boys ironically urged audiences to do west in their 1993 cover of the village people. I remember arguing with my boyfriend then on whether the song was ironic or not. I didn't agree too much with that boyfriend anyway. But I digress.

Lat night I went into a little shop to buy some beers. Next to me was a poor woman wanting to buy a sprite. She gave the man in the till a pound. He said it cost 2.50. She thought there was an offer. He went and brought her what was on offer instead: a 7up. As she was waiting there in shame, holding up the queue, I thought of going to give her 2 pounds. Then I thought that would be insulting and I didn't do it.

I was sad thinking about this woman. These days, we are all so used to social inequality that it seems trivial to us, it seems almost normal. I am not sure on how this van be changed. I go through phases of caring and not caring. I go through phases where seeing people sleeping in the cold roads, in the rain seems fine to me. And then something happens and I stop and think.

It is really not normal, this inequality. No matter how self-absorbed we are, no matter how engrossed we all are in our own problems, it is important to remember every once and a while, that it is not fucking normal. It is shit. I don't know what we can do, I don't know if charity or ethical living or eco shit work in any way. I just think it's important to remember that it is not normal.

No comments: