Friday 26 November 2010

Activism rules, Greek-stylee

This is the website of atenistas, a citizen's group for Athens:

http://www.atenistas.gr/

For as long as I remember myself, there is one thing I hated in Greeks: their constant moaning and evading of their responsibilities. Greeks are unhappy, and they think it is not their fault. Most often it is the government (that they vote for), the 'others', the neighbors, the people who tax-evade, the Americans (everyone's favourite vilain).

But crucially it is never their fault.

But if it is not your fault then you cannot do anything about it.

Atenistas think differently. Perhaps bad things are our fault, not because we did them, but because we are not doing anything to change them. Let's do that then!

In a country with non-existent state presence, citizen's groups are long overdue.
The only ones who can do something are sensitive, educated, concerned citizens.

Good luck guys, I wish I were there!

No comments: