Thursday 7 May 2009

Tsitata (mottos)

'When the rapist approaches his victim, he whispers sweet words.
The person who loves you mumbles and doesn't know what to say.
Who will you trust?'
(S.T.)

My teenage years (that I seem to dwell on a lot these days - 'I grow old, I grow old...') have been deeply affected by this line, which featured prominently on my wall for years. I loved it so much because it seemed to excuse the inadequacy of the people I loved to exress their feelings to me. I felt that the less they said, the bigger their love was. But I am not sure anymore. Love can be expressed, not with cheap sweet words perhaps, but it can be. I am sure of it now.

Yesterday, when talking with d/a I came up with the following profound statement: 'The issue is not to love your people, turning the blind eye at their inadeqacies. The issue is to love them, in spite of their inadequacies.' Profound, huh? What I mean, I guess is that I have no patience for people who say, 'oh I loved so and so a lot, so I didn't see their faults'. I mean how stupid is that? Youkali said to me that it is the faults of the other person that will make your heart skip beats more than the good things. This is when you know you love them truly: when even their shitty traits seem sweet.

How often does THIS happen though...?... On verra...

1 comment:

mike said...

It is not the faults we like in others. That is just a saying we use automatically when we confront our partners faults. Some can't bare not been able to change the person standing next to them, are those who finally end up standing opposite of each other. When we find something extremely interesting it makes our mind, itch. What you had written on your wall is that something. It is not you who said it, but you love it. It is different. And that is why we love our partners, they are different, they make our heart skip a beat just like a poem makes our mind itch.
Over and out, yall!!