Wednesday 13 May 2009

Indescribable



How do you describe a movie that is about:
(a) Vampires
(b) Romance between 12 year olds
(c) Bullying
(d) Loneliness
(e) Love
(f) Loyalty
(g) Friendship
(h) All of the above (and then some)

Quite simply you just can't.

I saw 'Let the right one in' yesterday and I was amazed at the complexity of the movie: it was scary, funny, sweet, loving and still made sense as a whole. I guess the most impressive thing with it however is how it managed to do all this with children in the two lead roles. I am not saying this because children are not good actors, far from it. I am saying this because I find artists to be disturbingly clumsy when they deal with children in movies or books. They either deal with them as cute little idiots, or just as decorative objects but they never allow them the complexity that children have in real life. This movie does that, and that is what makes it über special.

Go watch then, and be amazed.

No comments: