Tuesday 12 May 2009

Allegory of life



I just watched the finale of the first series of "Lost" and I have to say I'm impressed. I realize that half the authors of this blog are mocking me for getting into this so late and only realizing how good it is just now (and only having been indoctrinated by M and d/a, again, thanks guys!) but better late than never, right?

Again, I do not want to write something profound about this series now, I don't have anything profound to say anyway, and it is too early for it, but I have to say this: for anyone that loves allegory and symbolism (two related but not identical notions-often frowned upon) "Lost" IS the thing to watch. And given that allegories and symbolisms can be simplistic and tiring, it is this what makes the series so great: it takes a basic idea and executes in a way that it is simple but not simplistic. The simple premise of the series is, in my opinion, the premise of an archetypical society where the science vs. faith dilemma (as it has been explicitly mentioned in the series finale by Jack and Locke, who represent the two) can be played to the extremes.

The island with the magic powers, the stranded group of people, the hatch that according to Locke has 'hope' inside it (what a wonderful modern allegory of Pandora's box), the Others, the archetypical couple (Sun and Kim) and so much more form this mini-universe, a miniature version of society where everything, all the issues that have troubled literature, theatre, philosophy and religion for the last 2000 years or so can be laid out and explored.

Nothing short of genius, truly.
Series 2, here I come!

1 comment:

d/a said...

Oh, how much I love Lost... for plenty of reasons, some already explained beautifully by you, Lady V. There will be more exciting and thought provoking episodes to come, this was just the beginning..keep watching and keep writing..
I am sooo glad you are hooked by Lost, hehee