Tuesday 10 February 2009

D. It is written

I was waiting to see this movie... I was well prepared: I had seen the trailer, I had downloaded the soundtrack, I had watched the BAFTA and I knew, I just knew for sure that I would like it. Why? Well, it was all about fast motion, beautiful photography, suspense, fantastic soundtrack (that is definitely not just in the background), and most of all, it was about hope and karma.
As a last attempt to catch the attention of his beloved Latika, Jamal decides to take part in a tv show that can bring him millions and change his life. But he is not there for the money. All his life has been a battle to have money, to survive with one way or another (stealing or working), but not this time. He was there to push his luck, to live his karma and get back together with the only woman he ever loved. Every question is a big chapter of his life. And he knows all the answers. All the nation is watching, awaiting for the outcome and the big mystery for the police to solve is if Jamal knows all the answers because he is cheating or... is it written?
This is a story of three musketeers, Jamal, Salim and Latika. But also a love story of two children who meet under unpleasant circumstances, separate, meet again in their teens and they can't be together as adults. A story of two very different brothers who try to survive the poverty and the loneliness and hurt each other. A story of a big city, Mumbai, full of life, religion, crime, death, culture that is changing.
It's only at the end, a very Bollywood end indeed, with Indian dance and music that made me forget that this is all a European film. If you enjoy Danny Boyle's latest film, you may want to book your next holidays to India, like I do, or if you don't like it, well.. it's probably written!

2 comments:

Lady V said...

Nice post d/a, I wanted to write something on Slumdog millionnaire too, because it was such a powerful film. I loooooved the music and especially the song you post on the clip. I hope it wins the Oscar, like a true underdog, the outsider beating all the odds. Life imitating art?

Youkali said...

You're going to India?!
Wooooooow!