Tuesday 26 February 2008

The buzz

We suddenly were all proud of ourselves as "Europeans" in the context of the four recipients of the acting Oscar awards: Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Javier Bardem and Tilda Swinton. So we are taking over Hollywood, right? Us, Europeans that is...

Whatever.

Sometimes people are really looking for a buzz, I think, and journalists are craving for generalizations that make little or no sense. The year English patient won, 1997 I think, everyone was buzzing about the independent invasion: 4 out of 5 movies up for the best movie award were independent productions. Oh my God, this was, like, so important! And then what happened? Did Hollywood suffer a blow? Did Tom Cruise get a pay cut? Did he stop making Mission Impossibles? I don't think so...

Things come and go but stupid Hollywood stays. With its ridiculous blockbusters (Jumper, don't even get me started on this one) and its over-payed stars.

Good things are here and will always be here, some years more, some years less. This year's highlights for me were an ex-stripper receiving a writing award, an excellent two-headed monster of a director receiving the recognition for their truly independent style, an unknown song-writer invited back on stage to finish her acceptance speech after being idiotically cut off by the producers etc. I wish I could have seen the brilliant Paul-Thomas Anderson been awarded with something or Johnny Depp for his rendition of the dark and irrevocably hurt Sweeney but whatever, this is Hollywood after all.

No comments: