Friday 30 November 2007

Stop me

Stop me, oh
oh oh stop me
Stop me if you think that you've
heard this one before
Stop me, oh
oh oh stop me
Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before

Nothing's changed
I still love you, oh
I still love you
only slightly, only slightly
less
than I used to
my love

It took Mark Ronson's mix to appreciate this ols Smiths classic and the awsome lyrics. Only it's not the lyrics as a whole, it is the lyrics as fragmented parts of a sentence 'I still love you-only slightly-less-than I used to'. Every word is another story, every little syllable might change your world.

3 comments:

Hello Kitty said...

Great comment, Lady V. What a brilliant cover of a brilliant original! The contrast between the two couldn’t be more striking, sign no doubt of Ronson’s talent. Morissey sings swiftly, easily, dryly racing through his lines, almost shaking them out of sleeve – as if to defy the pain his poetry inherently holds. (All Smiths songs and their poignant, angst-ridden philosophy may be read in this way…) But right from the opening of Mark Ronson’s dramatic take, Daniel Merriweather’s voice is sooo plaintive. I feel his heart hurting. But all this drama is, then, progressively and so strangely supported by the odd discoing up version it becomes... plus, the mixing in of the Supremes tune, which we also know so well from a hilariously distasteful singer such as Kim Wilde, ‘Keep me hangin’ on’ – it really is a huge smack in the face of all hard-core-purist Smiths’ fans (ahem, like yours truly). Love it.
P.S. I don’t know many covers of Smiths’ songs other than ‘There is a light that never goes out’ by The Magic Numbers, which I equally adore, especially the ending.

Lady V said...

Great comment Hallo Kitty, you are indeed a huge Smiths fan and you have thought about this a lot ;) With respect to Smiths covers, one should not forget the Placebo version of Bigmouth strikes again, how cool is that.
And finally btw, welcome to cyberspace and my blog, Hallo Killy!

Hello Kitty said...

Quite, how could I forget that one. It's been a while since I went through my Placebo phase... am loving your blog! xx