Tuesday 6 November 2007

Ode to Christina


It is difficult to express my love and admiration to the same people again and again. Especially to those who have been knowing me for ages. Every year I have to deal with birthdays (and namedays for Greek friends), think of something nice to buy and write on a card and try to make the day somehow special. Celebrations and all this kind of "lets get all together and party" have not been my favourite time of the year, mainly due to the fact that it has never been a big deal in my family.

I know somebody who loves to celebrate. She loves to have all the attention around, she likes to get all sort of gifts, answer the telephone immediately and have something different to say to the ones at the other end of the line and can not wait for the next year to come to enjoy another celebration day. How cool is this.. ? I wish I could experience it the way she does. I am learning though... watching her doing the things that she does. The "celebration reaction" is only an example. I have many things to learn from her, because she is the kind of person who gives and shares. That is the main characteristic of a good friend, someone can argue. I have few friends, not all of them share. Neither their knowledge covers all the aspects of life. She, on the other hand, knows everything: politics, music, theatre, history, mythology (that's her asset!), cooking, shopping, driving, watching tv, playing backgammon, dancing flamengo, name it and she can do it! She is not very good in bargaining though... (not a great shopping partner if you wish to go to Morocco). Apart from that, she has a very rich personality and believe me that makes it difficult to argue with her as she is (almost) always right. Besides of all these symptoms, and many more what will be revealed in due time, I think she is great and I truly love her.
Happy birthday!
Hope this day is special for you!

2 comments:

Youkali said...

I agree. Everything written in this text is true!

Lady V said...

Oh, D/a you make me so moved with your post. Thank you so much, for your love and for sharing everything with me, even this blog. I promise to be a better friend, a better person and better bargainer and all because of you :) One last thing, the reason I know how to celebrate and love it so much is just because I have people like you to do it with me. Thank you, I love you.