Thursday 13 May 2010

The importance of being earnest



I never write political posts but today I will make an exception. Labour lost, Gordon Brown resigned and Cameron turned the Torries into government with a 'historic' coalition with Lib Dems. This whole thing makes me sick. I have never seen a more opportunistic, insincere individuals as those two in government today. How can you work with someone that you called the bast joke you ever heard? I mean, David Cameron has called Nick Clegg a joke. And now he says he is the next best thing since sliced bread. I mean, come off it.

I understand that Labour had to go. I think it had to be punished, if for no other reason than for the war against Iraq. And although this was Blair's thing, it is the same party after all, and it had to be punished. But the Torries are not the answer. People who want to give tax cuts as incentives for people to get married, are not the answer. As JK Rowling said, this reminds us why we don't want to vote Torries.

But in a way, I think Nick Clegg is worst. Nobody knew this man a month ago, then he goes on TV, does a 'good' debate (which, for what it's worth I thought was simplistic and crap), gets hyped up like no other, LOSES seats for his party and in the end becomes the 'key-holder' for this whole election. He spent 5 days talking to the Torries AND holding secret talks with Labour, and then, like any slutty girl who double-times her poor boyfriend with the new handsome boy in class, chooses the new handsome boy in class. Who is also rich. And has gone to an expensive private school. And looks like an egg-head.

The only tragic figure in this whole story after all is Gordon Brown. The most uncharismatic man in the history of politics, but alas a sincere man, a man of principle who lost simply because he was not Blair (or Cameron with his pregnant wife, or Clegg with his 'charisma'-whatever). It pains me to see his stepping down statement, but it also makes me happy. It makes me happy that these people exist, that they go into politics and that they win, sometimes, even for a tiny amount of time, they win and they try.

As the man himself said, 'thank you and goodbye'.

No comments: