Sunday 23 May 2010

The end is the beginning is the end

A lot of things finish today, Lost being one of them. But this post will not discuss this topic - yet.

This post is about saying goodbye to things that were both good and bad. English has a great word for the emotion that such situations give you: bittersweet.

Today I am saying goodbye to my flat of the last three and something years. And it feels utterly bittersweet.

This was the first flat that I got with my own money, it was the place of my independence. Although it didn't seem like that all the time, this flat was for my new beginning, in a new city, in a new (first, albeit initially part-time) job. I came here with no friends three years ago and the beginning was tough. Loneliness, lots of TV and general frustration. Then things went up and down and life went on. The sense of temporary reigned and I thought I was about to leave this city any day.

But then last year, almost this time, things changed. New life. Not always great, challenging at times, but new and exciting nonetheless.

And this year more changes. New house. My house. My own house. Never had this feeling before. I never wanted to be adult and conventional. But I guess resistance was futile. Now I am the ultimate 'young professional' with a big mortgage and new wooden floors. And I don't feel conventional. I just feel different. The same but different.

2 comments:

Moanerplicity said...

It's a good thing that you not only recognize, but have recorded how far you've come in your journey. Congrats on the new house... hopefully it's begun to FEEL like home!

Snatch JOY!

One.

Lin

Amy said...

I appreciate your PO very much the picture with the article. Continues to refuel!!