Sunday 18 April 2010

Was it always so simple?



I am a huge Lost addict, that is not news. I have written something about this series before, here and here but I haven't done any serious Lost fans theorizing.
As the ingenious series is approaching an end in 23rd of May however, and discussions on the net increase in number, complexity and literary credibility, I had an idea myself. As I am a fairly mainstream person, the column I am mostly following is Doc Jensen in EW, whose latest ideas had me thinking.

One of the most prominent literary references of Lost is that of Alice in Wonderland. As in Alice, my other two favourite tales for children, Miyazaki's Spirited away and Michael Ende's Neverending story also deal with a very important theme that is becoming increasingly relevant in Lost: keeping one's identity through memory, through remembering oneself. To cut a long story short, Alice, Chihiro and Bastian in the three respective pieces get lost/stranded in a magical/imaginary world and can only return to their own world, the real world if they manage to not forget who they really are in these magical worlds. In Lost, our heroes are stranded on this magical island and now with the sideways world they have these split lives. The only way they can come to their own world, the only way they can reconnect with their other halves -in this case their other half selves (Plato's Symposium anyone?) is through anamnesis, as Doc Jensen rightly points out in his column in another ingenious Platonic reference. Plato is clearly a major inspiration for the Lost creators (cf. the quite literal scene with the cave in 'Recon' of this season).

So, to cut the extensive name-dropping and to wrap things up: perhaps the answer to the question' what is Lost really about', I could provide my own spin on things. Lost is about being true to oneself, to one's true character and values and this connection, this memory of oneself is the only thing that can set us people really free, not just from the magical island as in Lost, but in life in general. And since it all makes sense so beautifully, read this again in my earlier post from this month where I reconnect with my roots.

No comments: