Saturday 5 September 2009

An ode to infidelity



Listening to La Roux's exceptional song (and Skream's exceptional drum&bass remix) I realized that I hadn't fully understood what the song was about, since I was mishearing the lyrics... Take a look at an extract from this inspired song:

We can fight our desires, but when we start making fires
We get ever so hot, whether we like it or not

They say we can love who we trust - but what is love without lust?
Two hearts with accurate devotions and what are feelings without emotions?

I'm going in for the kill, I'm doing it for a thrill
Oh I'm hoping you'll understand, and not let go of my hand...

In the refrain, I thought she was saying 'and now let go of my hand' but I was wrong.

Thinking about the song I think it is the desperate plead of a person to another to let them be free. In the excellent line 'they say we love who we trust - but what is love without lust?', I think La Roux gives a fatal blow to boring, convenient, sexually dead relationships. She says, love is cool and all, but sex and lust are underrated. And I agree, people seem to be happy to disregard sex as unimportant, but as a friend once said, whatever a couple fights about during the day, they can deal with it in the evening when they go to bed. If they don't sleep together though, or if when they sleep together, they don't like it, then they can solve nothing, I think. So, long live lust (and who cares about trust?)!