Sunday 5 October 2008

Impoliteness





I would like to propose a game to everyone who is interested (I hope that at least Lady V is): what are the funniest/nicest and rudest quotes from movies (or perhaps real life) we have ever heard? I thought of this game because I've always wondered how rude language can sometimes be so strangely interesting and cool (I do realise I'm sounding like an adolescent here. Alas, it's the truth).


Here are some pieces of impoliteness that I've always loved:


- You pathetic rebound fuck, now get your patchouli stink out of my store! Move it, lard ass, now! Dumb motherfucker.. - High Fidelity


- You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? - Good Fellas, what a classic!


- I'm a mushroom-cloud-layin' motherfucker, motherfucker! Every time my fingers touch brain, I'm Superfly T.N.T., I'm the Guns of the Navarone! - Pulp Fiction


-Dios mio, man. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click." - Big Lebowski (and while we're at it, nobody fucks with the Jesus)


And, if you allow me an ultimate piece of impoliteness, let me share with you a piece of advice that I've heard a Northern English girl say to another Northern English girl in a Northern English pub many years ago: 'I wouldn't shag him if I had your fanny'. Precious. This has made me laugh for at least ten years. Gotta love the English language.




Enough impoliteness for now, I have to go celebrate the day when my country became a Republic. If you want to share your impoliteness with me, though, my linguist soul thanks you in advance.


3 comments:

Lady V said...

Apart from the fact that (a) I only saw this post now and (b) you have used all my favourites (because we're friends and we share favourites, dumb motherfucker), I am not so sure I can add something. I will indeed think about this though :)

Lady V said...

I thought of one (I knew I could do it, if I tried hard enough). Again it's the beloved Coen brothers, only this time it's from intolerable cruelty:

Gus Petch: . . and those Rottweilers were a menace, man!
Miles Massey: I told you she had dogs.
Gus Petch: You didn't tell me they had a hard on for Anus Africanus!

Cool, huh?

Youkali said...

ah ah ah, very cool!
Anus Africanus is too good.
I have to say, though, my favourite is still John Cusack trying to act cool and turning to his friends with that 'dumb motherfucker' line. I just love it.
And I forgot to mention the Jackie Brown line:'what happened to your ass, man? Your ass used to be beautiful'.
Why is rude language so beautiful sometimes, I ask you, why is it so cool? Can it be because we're not native speakers? Rude language in Portuguese just sounds rude - only ocasionally does it sound cool. But it sounds cool in English (and in Greek, for that matter, hela pousti mou!).
I guess the whole American cinema industry influences us so much we grow to be fond of rude language. I am, at least, I am very fond of it indeed and I know you agree with me, Lady V - what about writing a paper about this together, ah ah!