Saturday 6 September 2008

Creeps

Maybe there are other things going on in the world that deserve my attention more. But reading this, I cannot help but being appalled. Apparently, some people in India have got nothing better to do than to think it's cool to have the average Indian Joe Schmuck (who is poor beyond belief) wearing designer clothes and fashion items costing hundreds of years' salary.
There's something deeply sad about those pictures of poor people smiling and displaying some glorified item of wealth. I mean, poverty is sad anyway but it really seems heightened and even more objectionable when portrayed in this way, turning poor people into picturesque objects for wealth display (reading the article, we learn that Vogue India didn't even bother to mention the names of the peope they used in the photo shoots. They mention brands all right, but no names). The whole debacle becomes even worse when you read what the Indian Vogue editor had to say in her defense - "we're not trying to save the world or anything. "
Since when is this an excuse for regretabble behaviour instead of a reason to be profoundly embarassed? Shouldn't we all be trying to save the world, no matter how efficient we are in the process? People use this argument all the time - I'm not trying to save the world, I don't want to make a difference, I don't want to change anyone's life, bla bla bla.
My problem is that I do not understand the validity of this argument. These people give me the creeps. And they are creeps.

No comments: