Thursday 22 May 2008

The losing game

Losing is a part of life. If you don't know this, then maybe you should stop watching films. In films, nobody loses nothing ever. And if one does, he is not the protagonist.

In life, people lose things all the time. You can lose someone you love and regret it for the rest of you life. You can lose someone because they died. Surprise, surprise, people do die. And then you don't see them again. And you have to deal with that. You can lose a lot of money, and then live on the street or move back with your parents or owe your ass to the bank for the rest of your life.

Sometimes you lose something smaller: a job, a friend, a paper being accepted in a conference, the bus, an earring you like etc. The problem with these things is not that they are important, because they're not. The problem is that we don't know how to deal with them, because we don't know how to deal with losing, because losing, is not something 21st century people do very well. It sounds clishé, and I apologize in advance for this, but the problem is that our society cannot deal with imperfection. We are all supposed to be cool, slim, nice blah blah and non-losers. We don't know how to be humble. When we lose, we need to find excuses for ourselves, not fake ones mind you, but still excuses. Why do we even need excuses, are we supposed to be perfect? Are we supposed to be otherwise great, but extremely unlucky in one particular case? Why? Can we just not suck? I am a fairly cool person, but in some things I suck. I cannot think of one just now, but I am sure I suck in some way.

Another thing that pisses me off is how people deal with you when you suck and are sad about it. Suppose you flip and start crying. You know, something bad happens and then you flip and cry a bit. And then people say "oh c'mon put it into perspective". And the implication in this is: "stop crying because you look like a bigger loser". And I say, screw you. I am a loser and I want to cry a bit about it. I am tired and disheartened and I want to piss and moan a bit. Why should I put things into perspective? Are people supposed not to be upset, ever? Or are people supposed not to be upset unless something devastating happens? In Greece people say "if no one is in the hospital or in grave, everything is ok". If someone died I wouldn't just cry. Just crying IS putting things into perspective.

Whatever.

No comments: