Thursday 17 April 2008

Blame it on my youth

When I was younger, I had one dream: to eat chinese out of a paper box, like in the movies. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't only because Chinese came to Greece late (for a while I also think it was kind of a status symbol: "-I've eaten Chinese-Wow!"). It was also because, in my naive mind, that was the definition of independence: a lonely, self-sufficient individual having take-away dinner home alone.

I am an adult now, I work and I earn my own money and I live alone. If I want I can eat take-away, I don't have to cook.

I went to the Thai place next to my house the other night and got myself a nice dinner in a box. And I went home and I tried to eat it out of the box, so I can finally-finally!- live my fantasy. I had my chop-sticks and all, sitting in front of my TV and I tried. But it was too hot, so I had to put it on a plate. But then suddenly it hit me, this is not nice-looking and independent, this is plain sad! I am by myself, at home, eating some unidentifiable oriental dinner that looks like a lump of things. My fantasy crumbled, the movies had lied to me! And then I remembered Holden Caulfield, my beloved Holden from 'catcher in the rye', who said in one of his amazing lines 'I hate the movies like poison, but I get a bang imitating them.'

I have to read that book again...

No comments: