Saturday 8 December 2007

The women who never smile



They say feminism has become a bad word these days. Any woman that defines herself as such is seen with suspicion from the female population and with contempt from the male one. The cliché obviously goes that a feminist has a fetich with bodily hair and does not wear deodorant or high heels. I rarely identify myslef as one, but yesterday, after watching the movie 'brick lane' I felt this urge to defend women all over the world.

I will not inform you of the details of the story, read monica ali's book if you want. The gist is easy: poor Bangladeshi woman is sent to London at the age of 17 to marry fat wealthy 'educated' compatriot. She lives a life of mediocrity, losing a baby son but having two daughters. Her only dream is to go back one day and see the sister she left behind. Her husband always postpones the trip so she starts working as a seamstress to earn money for the ticket. Then it gets soppy, as she meets young handsome revolutionary boy, falls in love and starts waking up. After the incidents on September 11th Muslims are feeling the pressure in London and everywhere and her husband decides it is time for them all to go back. Confused by her feelings towards the charming boy and her newly found sense of belonging to this new 'home' she stays behind.

I think this is probably not a great movie. But it made me feel extremely emotional because looking at the smileless face of the heroine, I thought of my grandmother and endless generations of women in poor countries that lived their whole lives without smiling. And this is what makes me feel like a feminist today, I feel that we are the first generation of women that have the right to smile and enjoy our lives. It is a useless burdon to feel that you live the life so many other women before you have paved the way for, but sometimes I do. I am happy that I am happy and I wish my grandmother had another chance to live like me.

2 comments:

Youkali said...

I think it is really important to be aware that the freedom we enjoy today was bought and paid for us in the past, basically. I entirely agree with you in this point. And I also think that feminism is not dead in the sense that although women have conquered a lot in the West (to some extent...), they are still being exploited and abused in many other parts of the world. As a woman, I really feel strongly about this and I wish there was something I can do to help women who are subjected to all kinds of humiliation in their countries just because they were born female. So, feminism is not dead. It still makes sense today as long as women are exploited.
At this point I really wish I had more deeds and fewer words to present but alas, that is not the case and therefore I shall shut up. Very thought provoking post!

Anonymous said...

This is a really touching subject. I feel for all the women who never smiled,who suffered for years and the only experienced life through deprivation and lack of choice. I feel gratitude for what I have now and really admire those who left behind something different for the next generations. I try to bear this in mind when my choices are difficult. If one realizes how lucky we are, then it is only natural that more things need to be done for the next generations. Maybe it is a romantic revolutionary need I have but I am glad it is there.