Thursday 6 December 2007

The unassuming Björk



I liked Moloko. A lot. And I like Roisín Murphy and her quirky voice, her quirky headwear and her quirky pick-up lines ('do you like my tight sweater? See how it hugs my body' that even made it as an album title). So she came to give a gig in Belfast and I went (actually one of my students gave me her ticket, but that's another (funny) story/post.). It was nice and she was very energetic, I'd never seen electro-funk live before and I strongly recommend it. Awsome atmosphere (the entire gay community of Belfast in addition to a couple of Roisín-lookalikes), deafening beats and impressive guitar solos. She reminded me of Björk because she was not taking herself seriously at all: she wore weird unflattering clothes and accessories that made her look like an alien. The songs were great, very appropriate for a live and she gave an amazing performance of 'the truth' which is one of my favourite songs of all time (thanks youkali for suggesting it to me) where she even did the rap part herself.

She did not sing *any* Moloko tunes however, and that put me off a lot. It felt as if she was rejecting her past with the band entirely. Maybe she feels insecure that people go to her gigs to listen to 'fun for me' and 'the time is now' and 'sing it back' and she wants people to be there for her and her alone as a solo artist. Maybe she is just fed up with singing these songs after all these years. But it felt so stupid. I can like her alone and I can still like Moloko. What a pity, stupid girl.

2 comments:

Youkali said...

I sympathise entirely. I hate going to live concerts just to be subjected to what artists think is the 'arty' way to perform something live or, even worse, to have to put up with ridiculous line-ups which baffle me and prevent me from recognizing and singing along to the songs. I paid the ticket, I want what I am expecting and I want it delivered properly. If artists want to experiment, they should do it in albums so that I can decide whether I should spend money on them. If I decide to attend a live concert to listen to a singer I like,give me what I want and let me sing along! That's why I liked to see Pixies live so much a couple of years ago - no bullshit, just straight, great guitar playing and all the songs rendered to perfection! I sang till I lost my voice and the concert was worth every penny of the ticket.

Youkali said...

Having complained so much, though, I have to say that listening to the Truth live must have paid off!