Saturday 29 September 2007

Ute



I will see Ute Lemper live in less than a month and I am very excited.
Every time I listen to her songs, I realise how interesting it is what she does: this amazing combination of theatricality and music that constitutes the heart of the genre she adores: cabaret. She is a singer and a dancer and an actress. And even though I have never seen her act and dance, all of this is present in her singing, always. I like her when she sings Kurt Weill, Bob Fosse, Edith Piaf, Philip Glass or Nick Cave. Her voice has this amazing ability to restrain and burst at will, reminding me of the master of restraint: Amalia Rodrigues. Restraint in singing is so important because it is only through it that power can really shine. If one would only sing powerfully, it would seem that they're screaming. But Ute's and Amalia's restraint only underline their power, making it even more pronounced.

Just watch her here...

No comments: