Tuesday 19 June 2012


First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.


(Martin Niemöller)

More and more often in my life, I find myself thinking about the above poem. These days I've been thinking about this because of how I feel of the way Greece and the Greek people have been treated by the western media. In a poignant article, economist Yanis Varoufakis tries to set the record straight. Essentially, he criticises the way the BBC have misrepresented the Greek election as a fight between a Pro-Europe group and an Against-Europe group. Don't get me wrong, there have been many many excellent analyses of the Greek crisis in foreign media, and you can have a look at some here, here, here and here (courtesy of my friend, Captain Red, as I like to call her these days). 

My estimation, which is not a very well-informed one admittedly, can only be summarised in the poem above: be careful who you don't fight for, fellow Europeans. Greece is a corrupt country with a lot of problems, but these problems are not the reason for the crisis. They just contribute to it. When the euro collapses, and the bubble of the Northern EU countries bursts, they won't have anyone to blame but themselves, because they chose to blame Greece for everything that was wrong with the EU, without realising the truth behind the problem. Then, though, it will be too late and truly there will be no one to speak out for them. 

No comments: