Wednesday 23 February 2011

I hate facebook

I have been meaning to write a post on why I hate facebook for a long time, but I always postponed it. And then today i read this and i can postpone it no more.

Although I see the point of it all, I still regard facebook as a giant gossip machine, complete with narcissism and need for procrastination and all. Don't get me wrong, I, too, am a narcissist. I, too, am a procrastinator (and a huge one at that). Also, most of my friends are on facebook. But for some reason, and without trying to be holier than thou, I just cannot bring myself to join a thing where you state your relationship status for the world to see, I cannot join a thing which will send email alerts to my 'friends' if I break up and I cannot ultimately join a place where friends come in inverted commas. You can opt out of all these hideous little details, some of my friends tell me, you can only use facebook as a way to keep touch with old friends. To which I defiantly reply: I don't care, I really really don't. If I like these old friends, I am going to call them, email them, make some time for them. I don't need 150 virtual friends seeing my pictures from my last holiday- or my idiotic narcissistic self-portraits, with an angle, from above, to look thinner.

I will just continue my lonely self-imposed facebook exile and will miss out on all of these things. I have no idea if some people from primary school would like to find me and giggle hysterically at my pictures. I am sure I can live without all this.

No comments: