Wednesday 3 December 2008

New/Old life



I often wonder whether I am truly the same person I was 10 years ago. My life then was different, the music I liked was different, my feelings were different. I was more pretentious, I thought people should listen to a specific kind of music and they would be cool just because of that. Then I grew up and to my horror I realized that there exist people with excellent music taste who are crap. So I had to reconsider.

One of the few things that have remained constant in my life is some of the music I like. Although I don't listen to some things with the determination that I used to, memorizing lyrics and thinking of them for hours on end, there are still some bands and albums that I listen to with exactly the same adoration. Radiohead's OK Computer is one them, Portishead's live in NYC, Suede's Dog man star and Sci-fi lullabies are some others.

There is also a Greek band that made its mark on me, Stereo Nova. I remember seeing them live in a small club in my hometown, and being entirely mesmerized. Then I bought their CD, Ασύρματος Κόσμος, and learned all their lyrics by heart. They have split for many years now and there was talk about them having split bitterly. But in two days they will play again, for one special time. I am extremely gutted that I won't manage to go, not least because my amazing cousin will be opening the show. Aparently, people are hiring buses from Germany for this show... It would have been amazing for me to go. It would have been a trip to the past, a trip to my past. I could wear my clothes from 1998 and pretend that not a day has passed from then. But I can't do that. I have to stay here and remind myself that I am not the same person I was 10 years ago. And that hurts most of time. Apart from the times that it doesn't.

3 comments:

Youkali said...

This is a great post!
You've said it all.
The past can be a torment when you think about it because sometimes you really miss it.
Except when you don't.
Great post!

Lady V said...

Glad you agree ;-) but you didn't tell me, do you like the song? And did you see my cousin's myspace page? Listen to the second song, it rocks!

d/a said...

Just a day away.. but not a saturday night.
As I am listening to "exostis" I think I feel the same mixed feeling I had when I first listened to them: sadness, pain, poetry, love..
Their lyrics said it all: broken dreams, life style, social inequalities, anti-war messages, positive thinking, past loves, loneliness, respect, survival instinct.
Pick one and dance dance dance